- Hits: 4134
Just a quick update on Springer, whom my husband has now dubbed "Lil Miss" after a character in the novel I published in September:
* If she wasn't housebroken when we adopted her, she is now. Not sure whether to credit her previous owner or Barbara Woodhouse's indispensable crate-training approach, but either way, I'm happy.
* She had no idea how to walk on a leash the first day and had an absolute toddler-style tantrum the first time we tried it. I think our rat terrier showed her what to do, as she went for a short walk with him and Ron the next day, and when I took her for a walk around the block a few hours later, she trotted along more or less at heel.
* She doesn't like being picked up but seems to enjoy (or at least tolerate) being held. She came to work with me in her snazzy new Sherpa bag for a couple of hours Thursday evening and seemed content to hang out on my lap. She made friends with our photo editor and one of our sports reporters.
* I think our other dogs are really good for her. When she's not sure what to do, she just follows their lead.
* She's learning "no" this afternoon, as in, "No, you may not dig a hole in my couch." (At the moment, she is lying on the couch next to the rat terrier, who is not supposed to be up there, either, looking at me like, "What are you gonna do about it?" I think she's finally remembered she's a Chihuahua. LOL)
* She loves her kennel but has gotten brave enough to come out of it on her own in the past 36 hours.
Thanks so much for rescuing her. She's just what our pack needed. . .